Monday, August 11, 2008

Is it always like this?

So today was the first day I had to report back to work. That was 10 hours of getting next o nothing done. We had to work in mixed groups to accomplish tasks and generate discussion and then we were in a presentation on accommodations for 3+ hours.

Now I should be clear on this point: I think schools should do everything (within reason) they can to accommodate those who learn differently. But here's the rub - the lecture was almost entirely geared toward those who teach out of a textbook and give homework and tests, and my classes just aren't like that. I suppose they could be if I wanted them to suck, but for the most part, I try to do stuff that is more hands on. Moreover, there were significant performative contradictions in this lecture.

The lecturer wanted us to not paint students with a broad brush and to target our teaching styles (meanwhile he was treating us as though we all taught the same way). He also told us to be sure in our lessons to be very specific about what was involved so that those who need that could get it (however, when he went over strategies for accommodation, it seemed to be one of he more vague things I've ever heard).

So there you have it. Time that could have been spent on any number of things - the least of which could have been departmental brainstorming on ways to accommodate - not totally wasted, but not terribly productive, either. Oh well, I guess that's teaching.

No comments: